Monday, November 15, 2010

"Blue Eyed Devil" "Sugar Daddy" and "Wicked Appetite"

So I am three books behind in posting! My bad!! I will go from oldest to newest.


"Blue Eyed Devil" and "Sugar Daddy" are two novels from the same family. The Travises. I read them in the wrong order but I still managed through. In "Sugar Daddy" you are introduced to Liberty Jones and Hardy Cates, two young people in a texas trailer park. As the story unfolds you really do feel for these two characters who love eachother but Hardy will not allow himself to love her in return. Kinda like star-crossed lovers.... We all know that story! Anyways, Hardy eventually gets out of the trailer park and he's gone for a while, leaving Liberty in the trailer park to take care of her little baby sister, Carrington. After a number of twists and emotional upsets, we meet Gabe Travis. At first he is the biggest asshole and you hate him with everything you have....then of course, he does something romantic and you love him to bits. That's all I'm saying about plot.

Second, "Blue Eyed Devil" is the story of Mr. Hardy Cates and another Travis....the little sister, Haven Travis. At first the reader is thrown off because you are introduced to Haven's boyfriend Nick who seems all romantic and wonderful until she elopes with him. Their relationship becomes severly abusive (it was enough to make me put the book down for a while) until she finally manages to escape to the safety of her brother Gage Travis. Then Hardy Cates strolled back into her life........

I really do enjoy Lisa Kleypas' way of writing. She introduces her reader to a number of interesting characters and makes them have a pivotal role in the story. Not just one of those characters who come in and go and have no impact. Her books are usually around 250-300 word mark and boy does she ever use that space wisely. Everything plays a role in the story, she never just writes something for the sake of writing it....it has an impact. It normally takes me two days to read a Kleypas novel....partly because I want to read it so quickly because I am in love with her characters but also because I don't want to read too quickly and then it all be over. There is no pleasing me when it comes to books :P

Next: Janet Evanovich "Wicked Appetite"

I love Janet Evanovich. I think she is absolutely hilarious and her books are created to pull you into a happy mood. She wrote the Stephanie Plum series....the story of a bounty hunter who is the worst bounty hunter ever. Her travels and experiences are what makes her a badass bounty hunter.
In the Plum series, Evanovich wrote the "In-between-series" which fall between the Plum series but don't exactly have an impact on the orginal series. In the "in-betweens" you meet a character named Diesel. He is an Unmentionable...he has some magic ability but he never talks about it because he is a handsome Unmentionable. 
This novel stars Diesel but instead of Stephanie Plum you are introduced to Lizzy...a fellow Unmentionable who doesn't know she is an Unmentionable, the only thing she knows is that she makes really amazing cupcakes. The story line is a bit hard to follow if you aren't used to Evanovich's style....by that I mean she can be walking in a straight line for about 2 minutes then all of a sudden she has turned to the right and now the whole story line has changed and the reader kinda has to think "wtf?" then go back and re-read a couple of pages.
Personally, I thought this book was really well written and it was really funny but I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone who is not already familiar with her style and characters. I still prefer the Plum Series but I feel that this was a rush job and didn't really tie up properly. The ending kind of just showed up and ta-da it was finished.
I guess I'm not that satisfied with this novel. I still love Evanovich, I'm just glad that I didn't buy this novel.

Next novel : "Dark Lover" by J.D Ward

Much Love <3,
Ginger Spudman

1 comment:

  1. Evanovich is one of my faves - PArticular the "Full SerieS" she wrote with Charlotte Hughes - Love me some talking cars and sexy genius men ....

    Kleypas' new book just came out, I believe - it's on my list of "To-Reads"

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete